If your air conditioner just went out in the middle of the summer, you're going to want to get it fixed as quickly as possible. If you have kids, you're probably worried about keeping them cool in the heat. Here are some fun activities to keep your kids cool while you're waiting for the electricity to get repaired.
Turn Bath Time Into Splash Time
Kids love the water. In fact, they don't need a reason to get wet. To keep your kids cool until the repair technician can get to work, fill your tub with cool water and let your kids splash away the heat. The cool water will lower their body temperatures and the splashing will help them pass the time.
Water The Lawn
There's nothing wrong with watering your lawn in the middle of the day, especially when your air conditioner isn't working and your kids are hot. Turn on that sprinkler and head outside with your kids. Your lawn will get watered and you'll stay nice and cool.
Go To The Library
A trip to the library on a hot summer day can be the perfect way to pass the time. Most local libraries have summer reading programs for children, which means that your kids will be able to enjoy story time while you enjoy some quiet time for yourself. Not only that but libraries are air conditioned, so you'll get out of the heat.
Try Some Hand Crafts
You can keep your kids' minds off the heat with this fun activity. Your children will love creating different designs with the colored salt you can help them make.
Supplies You'll Need
- Several small bowls
- 4 tablespoons of salt for each bowl
- Food coloring
- White glue
- Construction paper (can also use typing paper)
- Place 4 tablespoons of salt into each bowl and place them in the freezer for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the bowls from the freezer and add several drops of food coloring to each bowl.
- Let your children mix the salt and food coloring together using their fingers.
- Let your children spread a thin layer of glue all over a sheet of paper.
- Your children can now sprinkle the salt all over the paper in different shapes and designs.
- Leave the salt paintings to dry for several hours.
If your electricity goes out during the summer, you're going to have a lot on your mind. You don't want to have to worry about keeping your kids cool and content. You can use these simple ideas to pass the time while you wait for your air conditioner to get repaired. While some of these activities can be done at any time, they are an excellent way to keep your kids minds off the heat. (For more information, contact Southwest Air Conditioning Service Inc.)